If you want to cool a medium-sized room, you are better off with a portable air conditioner than a window air conditioner. Portable air conditioners can be very effective in cooling and maintaining low temperatures without getting overworked in spaces of as much as 600 square feet or more. Window air conditioners, on the other hand, are more suited for smaller spaces.
Table of Contents
- 1 So What is The Best Portable Air Conditioner?
- 2 Our Smart Picks from The Top Rated Portable Air Conditioners
- 3 How We Picked and Tested
- 4 Why Trust our Review
- 5 Honeywell MN12CES
- 6 Whynter 10,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner (ARC-10WB)
- 7 DELLA 048-GM-48266 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner
- 8 Global air 10,000 BTU Portable air conditioner Cooling
- 9 BLACK+DECKER BPACT14WT 14,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner with Remote Control
- 10 Haier HPN12XCM Portable Air Conditioner, 12000-BTU
- 11 Honeywell HL14CHESWW HL Series 14000 BTU
- 12 SPT WA-8088E 8000 BTU
- 13 Haier HPB08XCM Portable Air Conditioner, 8000 BTU
- 14 Honeywell HL12CESWW HL Series
- 15 Winner
So What is The Best Portable Air Conditioner?
First of all, Look for an air conditioner that has sufficient BTUs. Roughly, for about 300 sq. feet room, you need upwards of 8000 BTU. A small capacity AC will be a disappointment while one with unnecessarily high capacity will cost you more and will waste energy. Units that do not require manual draining offer more convenience than those that do. The best portable air con should not be too bulky and again should not be too loud.
We tested and reviewed some of the popular portable air conditioners so that we can give you the best advice before making that purchase decision.
Our Smart Picks from The Top Rated Portable Air Conditioners
How We Picked and Tested
We surveyed popular e-commerce websites and picked the best-selling and best-rated air conditioners. In addition, we constantly scrap manufacturer websites and once we find something catchy we do not hesitate to put it to the test. For this review, these are some of the factors that we put on the scale.
- Effectiveness of cooling relative to the stated BTUs
- Ease of installation
- Noise level
- Efficiency of functions such as self-evaporative system
Why Trust our Review
We are experts in the review of home and industrial electrical appliances drawing our expertise from a team of highly skilled tech enthusiasts. We are constantly researching new trends and best practices in the industry so that we can put our readers in the know. Our ears are always on the ground monitoring customer reactions and ratings; we don’t speak without putting a product to the test. It is only after having our own experience that we advise.
If you are looking for the best price air conditioner, you will find it in the Honeywell MN12CES. This unit comes in silver or black and is bliss to move around, thanks to its ultra-smooth wheels. It is small yet powerful and can easily cool spaces of up 450 SQ feet without breaking a sweat.
- Highly portable
- Requires no permanent installation
- Auto evaporation system with no water/ bucket draining requirements
- Impressive cooling capacity
- Cooling, fanning and dehumidification system
- Precise feater-touch controls and LCD display
- Automatic on/ off timer
- Remote control functionality
with four caster wheels You can easily move the Honeywell MN12CES air conditioner to any room you want inside the house thanks to its four caster wheels. The convenience does not stop there; if you want to enjoy the blast of cold air directly, you will find that this AC turns to any radius.
No permanent installation
This is the best portable air conditioner for apartment especially if you have plans of moving out sometimes in the future because it does not require permanent installation. If you need to move out, you just pack and move with it. This unit comes with a Window venting kit that is easily fixed on the window. Set up can be done in less than 5 minutes and when cooling is not necessary, the unit can be removed and stored away.
Auto evaporation system
The Honeywell MN12CES features a cutting-edge no bucket design. This means that unlike some portable air conditioners, this AC does not require bucket emptying. Additionally, you will not experience drips as the auto evaporation system absorbs water droplets and reuses them for cooling.
Impressive cooling capacity
This AC is highly effective and cools a room of up to 450 sq feet in no time.
Cooling, fanning and dehumidification system
Here, you get 3 functionalities all from a single small machine. This feature the makes the Honeywell MN12CES the best portable room air conditioner in its price range.
Precise feather-touch controls and LCD display
This AC has a friendly interface and is easy to operate. The LCD allows easy monitoring and adjustment of the settings.
- It has a highly effective cooling action
- It is highly portable
- Other than cooling than it can be used for dehumidification.
- Requires no bucket emptying
- Easy to operate
- Relatively low noise emission of less than 53 dBA
- Programmable automatic shutoff
- It is a bit noisy
- This air conditioner requires a window
Whynter 10,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner (ARC-10WB)
Like the Honeywell MN12CES, this is another portable air conditioner that features 3 operational modes of air conditioner, humidifier or fan. It is a top pick on many best portable air conditioner reviews because of its great performance and innovative features.
- Self-evaporative system
- Three operational modes
- It comes with a window kit and an expandable exhaust hose
- Multi-directional casters for transport
- Remote control
- Safety features with auto restart
- Anti-bacterial silver ion
This feature allows continued use of this AC without interruptions. The system minimizes condensation and recycles moisture that results from cooling.
Three operational modes
The Whynter 10,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner can be used for dehumidifying, cooling and for circulating air in the room through the fan.
Window kit and an expandable exhaust hose
This air condition is easy to install. It has an adjustable window slide bar that fits on almost any window. The kit also comes with an extendable hose that is secured easily by two adapters.
Also Read: Best Garden Hose
You will find this air conditional to be very portable. You do not have to lift or carry it, just drag it on its wheels that turn in almost any direction.
With this AC, you get full control at your fingertips. The remote control allows selection of different modes, temperature adjustment, and fan speeds etc.
Safety features and auto restart
To protect against damage and potential fire hazards in case of an electrical fault, The Whynter 10,000 BTU air conditioner has an LCDI plug that cuts off power for safety. In the case of a power interruption, the system automatically turns itself on and assumes its last settings when power resumes.
Antibacterial silver ion filter
This filter removes large particles from the air and kills potentially harmful microorganisms such fungi and viruses.
- Easily movable
- Can be set up easily
- 3 modes including air conditioner, dehumidifier, and fan.
- Has auto restart function
- It is a bit noisy
- Some buyers have noted that it leaks
- The fan keeps running as long as the unit is on.
DELLA 048-GM-48266 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner
This air conditioner is ideal when your cooling needs are for a relatively small room like a bedroom or a space of about 300 square feet. With this highly portable air conditioner, you can enjoy cool interiors courtesy of its multispeed cooling and a fan with controllable speeds and two-way air directions.
It has the following features;
- 8000 BTU
- Very portable air conditioner with casters for easy moving
- Hose installation kit that is easy to install
- Speed cooling and fan that allows the best choice of cooling action.
- Digital controls for precise adjustments
- Programmable timer for auto shut off
- Remote control functionality
This air conditioner is powerful enough to efficiently cool spaces of up to 300 square feet without much strain. At the same time, this unit uses power efficiently therefore not putting a strain on your power bills. If you are looking for the best rated portable air conditioner this is one of the best options out there.
Portable air conditioner
The DELLA 048-GM-48266 is not bulky and has a handle and wheels for easy movement from room to room.
Easy to install kit
You will find that this kit is easy to connect and set up without having to rely on a professional installer.
Speed cooling and fan
Select different fan speeds and cooling settings to enjoy the best conditions
A LED display and a modern control panel allow precision when selecting your settings. To put control at your fingertips, this unit comes with a remote control.
You could easily set this unit to switch itself off after a certain number of hours to conserve power when cooling is not necessary. The auto restart function restores settings after a power outage.
- It is efficient in cooling spaces of up to 300 square feet with a range of 82 degrees to 62 degrees
- Comes with remote control functionality
- Casters for easy portability
- Can be used as a dehumidifier
- It has programmable off function and an auto restart feature
- It requires occasional draining after because water accumulates in the bucket
- Not effective if cooling is required for the whole house
Global air 10,000 BTU Portable air conditioner Cooling
If you are looking for a compact and well-designed portable air conditioner, you will find it in the Global air 10,000 BTU Portable air conditioner. This AC unit will cool a room of up to 300 square feet without blinking yet it is cheaper than the DELLA 048-GM-48266 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner. Unlike most portable air conditioners, its body and components are made up of plastic, foam and copper for an extended lifespan.
It has the following features
- 10,000 BTUS
- Efficient cooling and dehumidification of up to 2.6 pints per hour
- Digital controls with remote control
- Programmable on and off timer
- Reusable air filters
This unit has enough power to effortlessly cool spaces of up to 300 square feet without getting overworked and without stretching the power bill.
Efficient cooling and dehumidification
This unit offers 2-speed air cooling for the desired comfort. Cool air is directed in four ways to spread the air evenly in the room. Dehumidification of up to 2.6 pints per hour can be achieved by this air conditioner.
The air filters are washable and can be reused and do not have to be replaced
- It is very efficient in cooling and dehumidifying smaller rooms like bedrooms, or living spaces
- Allows precision in selecting the settings thanks to intuitive controls
- Programmable on and off timer saves on electricity.
- Reusable air filter
- Window installation kit with a pipe which is 5 feet long
- It has remote control functionality
- It requires constant draining of bucket
- Sometimes shaking is experienced especially when the dehumidifier mode is on.
BLACK+DECKER BPACT14WT 14,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner with Remote Control
Black and decker is renowned for their craftsmanship and innovative products. Being an American company, they are sticklers for high quality and versatility. This air conditioner is a reflection of Black and Decker’s high standards and has the following features:
- It can be used as an air conditioner, fan, dehumidifier or heater.
- Easy to use controls – This air conditioner has easy to use friendly interface and intuitive controls that are easy to use. It has a LED display for precision and easy selection. You will find a remote control for easy use.
- Programmable controls – You can set this AC to go off after a certain number of hours of operation to save power.
- Bucketless design – Unlike many portable air conditioners the BLACK+DECKER BPACT14WT does not require manual draining.
- Washable filter – The air filters for this unit are removable and washable hence no replacements are necessary.
- Powerful cooling action – With 14,000 BTU you can bet that this machine does offer some cooling action. This unit generates powerful vertical motion that sends strong airflow in the room for quick cooling.
- Powerful cooling action
- Can be used for both heating and cooling functions
- It has bucketless design hence does not require draining.
- Precision controls and a LED display
- Programmable electronic controls6. It has well-designed carry handles and casters for easy mobility
- It is relatively high priced
- The noise it produces can be bothersome.
Haier HPN12XCM Portable Air Conditioner, 12000-BTU
After testing and research, we are convinced that this is the best dual hose portable air conditioner costing less than $400.With its powerful cooling effect, It is suitable for a moderately sized room. It has the following features:
- 12,000 BTU that is very efficient in cooling mid-sized rooms without strain
- Cools spaces of up to 525 square feet
- It has multidirectional casters for easy to transport
- Multiple settings and modes – You will find that this unit has 3 fan speeds and multiple modes for comfort.
- Full remote control functionality
- Dual hose design – This design allows this AC to easily dispel hot air and fill up the room quickly with cool air without getting overworked.7
- A 24-hour timer for easy programming of shut off time to save on power.
- Faster cooling through dual hose design
- Informative LCD display
- Programmable electronic systems
- Remote control enabled system
- Auto evaporation technology, therefore, no manual draining.
- It is quite bulky therefore requires a spacious room
- The hoses could have been longer
- There is no way of turning off the fan; it keeps running all the time as long as the unit is on.
Honeywell HL14CHESWW HL Series 14000 BTU
This is one air condition that will charm you with good looks and sophistication. If you love excellence and flawless design, you will quickly be obsessed with this Honeywell model. This air conditioner is easy to set up and moving it is easy courtesy of its smooth gliding wheels.
It has the following features.
- Four in one function of cooling, dehumidification, fan and heating
- 14,000 BTU enough to cool a moderately sized room
- Continuous drain system that eliminates the need for manual draining
- Three-speed fan for optimum cooling and ventilation
- Remote control functionality
- It comes with a window venting kit
- Effective in cooling rooms of about 550 square feet
- It can be used for cooling and heating as well as a dehumidifier
- It comes with a venting kit that is easy to install
- Smooth gliding wheels for easy movement
- Does not require manual draining
- The heater function does not seem to work well2. It is relatively high priced
SPT WA-8088E 8000 BTU
- 3 in 1 cooling, dehumidifying and fan
- Self-evaporative technology
- Digital temperature display
- Remote control functionality
- 3 fan speeds
- Effective in cooling small spaces
- Has auto restart feature
- Programmable controls
- It is not sufficient for cooling spaces above 250sq feet
Haier HPB08XCM Portable Air Conditioner, 8000 BTU
Perhaps the best price portable air conditioner is not such a far-fetched idea when you encounter this Haier model. If your cooling needs are modest, this unit will be all that you shall ever need. Even though it is manufactured in China, it is made to the high-quality standards observed by the Haier Group Corporation. Our test reveals that this could be the quietest portable air conditioner.
- 8000 BTU that sufficiently cools 250 square feet
- Can be used as a dehumidifier
- Quick install window kit that requires no special skills to set up
- Auto evaporation technology so manual draining of reservoir is not required
- Easy maintenance as air filter is reusable after cleaning
- 3 fan settings for easy cooling and multiple cool adjustments
- Easily portable with multidirectional wheels
- It is relatively low noise
- Quite effective in cooling small rooms like bedrooms
- Does not require manual drainage
- Multi-directional casters allow easy mobility
- It comes with a window installation kit that is easy
- The instruction booklet does not have clear instructions
- There is no way to turn off the fan when the unit is still on
Honeywell HL12CESWW HL Series
This air conditioner is manufactured by an American corporation that adheres to high-quality standards. This air conditioner has has a built in dehumidifier and is effective in cooling spaces of up to 450 square feet. It comes in pure white or a combination of white with blue, gray or black.
Most noteworthy features:
- Auto evaporation system that eliminates the need of physical draining
- Built-in dehumidifier that removes as much as 86 pints of moisture in 24 hours
- Soft-touch controls for easy setting with sleep mode for conducive environment during bedtime
- Digital LED display
- 3-speed fan for very effective cooling
- Remote control functionality for ease of use
- Smooth gliding wheels for easy transport
- Easy to install venting kit.
- It is effective in cooling medium sized rooms
- 3 in 1 technology that includes cooling, fan, and dehumidification
- It requires no permanent installation and comes with window venting kit
- It has remote control function.
- It is not effective in heating bigger rooms
- The hose does get very hot and needs to cool before it can be folded for storage
Off all these portable air conditioners we tested, the Honeywell MN12CES stood out for its high performance and well thought out features. Furthermore, even with all its functionality, it will not cost you an arm and a leg. It is definitely the best portable air conditioner of 2015.